I would love to post some photos of Miranda but I cannot post photos of her until the adoption is finalized at our court date on January 26. So, I thought I'd show this beauty instead.
We allowed Miranda to play hookie from pre-school today so she could play with us all morning. We borrowed a pink motorcycle that she could ride and push with her feet. There is a long hallway in the lodge where we are staying and she had a great time riding the motorcycle up and down the hallway. She became much more adventurous throughout the morning and rode as fast as she could. She chattered away and laughed as she played.
After a few hours of playing she started yawning and looking sleepy. I picked her up and cuddled her on my lap and she was asleep within a minute (literally)! The motorcycle riding must have worn her out. She slept curled up against me for over an hour. We finally woke her up when it was time to go back to her house for lunch. She was fast asleep and it took some time to actually get her to wake up.
At lunch I asked the house mom if there were any foods she disliked and the mom said she eats anything you give her. This has been our experience, too, as she has eaten everything we've given her. We were going to give her half a banana this morning and she ate the whole thing! Hopefully, she'll like American food.
I think Miranda's morning nap threw off her schedule because she usually naps right after lunch. When we picked her up to play later in the afternoon all the other kids reported that she had not taken a nap. She came and played with a doll for a little while before she started yawning. I laid on the bed with her and she fell asleep for another hour. Today was definitely the day for sleeping!! At least I got to catch up on some sleep I'm not getting due to jet lag!
Dad and I had a new adventure today. We both did a practice drive on the left hand side of the road. We stayed on the back roads near the orphanage just so we could get the hang of it. We both found that we were driving too close to the left side of the road. Dad had the biggest challenge as school had just let out and there were over 100 kids standing in the street. They divided in half so we could drive through but then as we were moving forward a little girl darted back across the street to join the other side. Whew! That was a heart-stopping moment but Dad handled it very calmly.
Here's the orphanage sign from the road.

Jenny we are thrilled things are going so well! The way in which Miranda's transitioned to you is amazing! I hadn't thought much about how hard it would be for the other kids and how hard it would be to experience their desire to be adopted too. We are enjoying your stories thanks for sharing so thoroughly.
ReplyDeleteJen we have never officially met but My husband Ken and I are in Pastor Wayne's Life Group. Last Monday he had mentioned you and your Dad were going to be leaving to go to Africa and Courtney Reisler had given me the link to your Blog. I just caught up on all your Posts. How Exciting ! We have been praying for you and for Miranda While you are all going through this transition. I love reading your posts to see how you are doing and How God is working there in your Bonding. Looking forward to reading more. : )
ReplyDeleteGod Bless
Faith
Miranda sure must be a snuggle bunny! Praying for you and you continue to interact with her. Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteJen-
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing. It sounds like things are going so well! It is great that Miranda trusts you so much to fall asleep with you. I am praying for you!
Love,
Nancy
thanks so much for detailing your experiences here for us!! how precious that Miranda is taking her naps in her mommy's arms!! praying for you each day.
ReplyDelete~Jenn
It is such a treat to read about your adventure! Praying for you and your Dad and sweet Miranda.
ReplyDeleteBeth Van Bemmel