Thursday, January 19, 2012

Grumpy Miranda

Today was a fairly quiet day at home.  This morning Miranda seemed rather grumpy.  She did not want to play with any of her toys.  In fact, she picked up the toys and put them away.  If you tried to interest her in something she would take it and put it back where it belonged.  Dad and I thought this was rather funny so I picked up a picture book and took it over to the couch to see what she would do.  She came right over to me, took the book, and put it back where it belonged!  Then I opened the Duplo blocks and started putting a few together.  She came over, put the blocks back in the bag, and then zipped the bag shut. 

We though she was hilarious.  Other two year olds throw toys or lay on the floor and kick and scream when they are fussy and mad.  Not Miranda, she put all the toys away and if she was not going to play with them, then no one was going to play with them!  This is definitely a trait I hope she keeps :)

Actually, we finally realized that she was tired.  I picked her up and held her in my lap and she fell asleep within minutes.

We went for a walk this afternoon.  We walked past a chicken coop and I absently started counting the chickens and Miranda started counting with me.  She clearly has practiced counting in English in preschool.  Throughout the rest of the walk I would count to ten and she would echo me.  Then we would cheer every time we got to ten.

Miranda was the most happy and animated as we were making dinner.  She was running from room to room laughing.  She would run into the kitchen to see what I was doing then run back out.  Setting and clearing the table is still one of her favorite activities.

After dinner we walked up the hill back to her house.  She was laughing and happily yelling the same phrase over and over again.  Another girl walked down to meet us and I asked her what Miranda was saying.  She said Miranda was yelling "mom, mom" over and over.  Miranda knew that we were walking back to her house and that she would see her house mother.  Even though I know that it is best that Miranda is strongly attached to her house mother, I long for the day when she will be that excited to see me.  Of course, when she got to the house she ran in and ran right past her house mother in order to see what the other girls were eating in the kitchen.

As I left Miranda's house, Andiswa was waiting outside to walk with me.  I told her that Miranda is going to start sleeping with us tomorrow and Andiswa asked if she could sleep with us, too.  I had to tell her that she can't stay with us but I did say we would invite her to come play with Miranda.  The emotions of this transition are hard to handle.  I know Miranda will be upset when she can't see her house mom and sisters and I know they will miss her, too.

1 comment: