Friday, January 20, 2012

Sleeping!

Shhh!  Miranda is sleeping.  Yes, Miranda is spending the night with us for the first time.  It took a little while for her to fall asleep and I sang every song I could think of but there wasn't too much crying.  Yay!  This is an answer to prayer because I was definitely nervous about how it would go when she realized she wasn't going back to her house to sleep.

This morning we visited a "baby orphanage" where Miranda lived about a year ago.  The caregivers were happy to see Miranda and how much she has grown.  They were also pleased to meet us.  It was helpful to learn more about her early life and see the excellent care she received.  The orphanage was founded by a Christian couple and right now there are 8 or 9 children living there from ages 2 weeks to about 1 year.  They said they have cared for about 600 children in the last 14-15 years.  The orphanage was bright and cheery and very clean.  It was in a much wealthier area.  The houses were high on a cliff overlooking the Indian Ocean.  I have attached a photo that I took from the car as we drove past.



Today was a hot day, so we put on Miranda's swimsuit and let her play in the water from the hose.  I don't think she had ever done this before, so there was not as much splashing as this activity normally involves.  However, she seemed quite happy to stand there in the spray from the hose.

We were trying to keep Miranda busy and distracted this evening so she wouldn't be upset about staying here.  Thankfully, we found two activities that were big hits.  First, we gave her some play jewelry, including earrings that reached her shoulders.  She loved the jewelry and wore it the rest of the night (having older house sisters has influenced this interest!)  Then Dad found some musical instruments - tambourines and maracas.  She loved playing with these and we started marching around the lodge.  The lodge has a very long hall so we marched up and down it again and again.  It was a wonderful distraction and I have a feeling that this game will happen many more times. 

I gave Miranda a bath before bed - the American version of bathtime.  When I helped with Miranda's bath at her house I noticed that there was no play - it was just get in the tub, get washed, and get out.  So, I gave her different toys to play with in the tub and she loved pouring water on herself and from one container to the next.  With that success it was time for bed.  Miranda is sleeping in a "camp cot"  (i.e. pack-n-play) beside my bed.  Let's hope she sleeps well all night.

7 comments:

  1. Hope Mommy sleeps well too!
    Your house is great for musical instruments since you can march around in a circle, sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts and Vaden loves hearing them! Last night before bed he wanted to read stories about the little girl Miranda. So I read him several of your blog entries. He loved it--as much as I have, I think. ;) We're all so excited to meet your daughter. Keep up the great work, Mommy! You're doing fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I was praying for this big day! I hope you both rest well. I'm sure it was a transition for Miranda's housesisters and housemom too. You are doing a great job finding fun things to do together...soon she'll be trying on your clothes and jewelry to dress like Mommy! Is it too soon to schedule a sleepover?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved reading your posts! Many have given me goosebumps. You are already an amazing mother. Miranda is so blessed to be entering into your care and into the loving support of your extended family. I'll continue praying for Miranda's housemom and housesisters, too.

    Beth V

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen - I've just read through your blog entries to date... You are living such a meaningful story. I wish you all the best as you continue through your journey. My family is praying for you all! What a blessing for everyone. Take care over there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda is a very bright and perceptive child. She already knows that you are and your Dad are safe and loving arms and she is at home with you. Jen, I cannot thank you enough for sharing the beginnings of your new family with such clarity. My prayers to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear things are going well. Praying!


    Nancy

    ReplyDelete