It’s official!!
Thandokuhle is now part of the Sheriff family!
Our court appointment was this morning and everything went
smoothly. The presiding officer (the
magistrate) was the same man who presided over Miranda’s adoption. He is very personable and relaxed. He was pleased to see Miranda again and
really enjoyed her American accent. He
kept asking her questions about school and friends just to hear her talk. The actual legal portion was very brief. I had to sign 2 papers and he signed and
stamped 4 papers and that was that!
After the legal proceedings were finished he spoke a blessing over each
of us. He spoke about Thandokuhle being
a bold speaker with no fear of man and Miranda as blessing others with her
kindness. I thought both statements fit
their personalities. Then his assistant
prayed for our family. I felt blessed
and encouraged by them.
Here’s a photo of us with the magistrate and the social
worker from the adoption agency.
And here’s another photo in front of the courthouse.
(And yes, Thandokuhle is wearing pink crocs with her fancy
dress. Turns out that most of the shoes
I brought for her are too small, including the black dress shoes. So, some other child at the orphanage is enjoying
those and Thandokuhle is fine with the crocs because they have googly eyes on
them).
After court we met with the attorneys who will guide us
during the remaining steps of the process.
They gave me a flowchart that listed 15 separate steps to complete all
the remaining paperwork! So, court is
just the beginning not the end of the process.
This afternoon we packed and wrapped things up here at Lily
of the Valley. I had to pay for our stay
here. The cost was 25 rand per day which
is about $1.85 per day. (Anyone
interested in a low cost place to visit with a fabulous view and warm hugs from
120 children?) I also was able to obtain
more photos of Thandokuhle (woohoo!) and we said our final goodbyes to
Thandokuhle’s house mother and house sisters.
Thandokuhle didn’t express a lot of emotion when saying goodbye but I’m
not sure how much she understands about the permanence of this move. Some of the older children were teary eyed
and Thandokuhle was more emotional at bedtime.
No comments:
Post a Comment