Today was a chilly, misty day and the dampness turned the
red dusty soil into red mud. This
morning we delivered clothing and shoe donations to the orphanage. One of my co-workers had given a lot of baby
boy clothes and shoes and I had girl clothes to donate. The boy clothes went to the donation
coordinator at the orphanage who will distribute them to the youngest
boys. I gave the girl clothes directly
to Thandokuhle’s house mom who was very appreciative.
This afternoon was a special farewell party for
Thandokuhle. The little cottage she
lived in was packed with children, house mothers, and other orphanage staff.
The orphanage director, the nursery school teachers, and her house mother all
spoke - about her personality, how happy they are that she is gaining a family,
and how much they’ll miss her. Several
mentioned her bright and happy personality and that she is quite strong-willed!
The nursery school teachers spoke about how clever she is and how good she is
at helping clean up and put toys away. After that they asked that I would
speak. It is hard to give an impromptu
speech when crying. I am deeply moved by
these people who love and cared for Thandokuhle and who know her better than I
do. Yet, I am the one she runs to and
calls “Mommy”. I thanked all the workers
for their care of both Thandokuhle and Miranda and shared how special Lily of
the Valley is to me because of the deep impact it has had in my life. It also made me so emotional to look at all
the other children piled into the room knowing that most of them will never have
a family of their own.
After the “speeches” it was time for the party to
begin. The orphanage provided cake,
marshmallows, chips, and soda. We
brought cookies and ice cream, but did not realize we should have brought
spoons. There were 8-10 plates and
spoons for the 30 or so people in the room.
The tableware was given to the adults and Miranda and Thandokuhle. For the other children the staff cut paper
plates in half and gave them small slivers of cake, along with other
goodies. Some “drank” their ice cream
out of cups while others waited for spoons to be washed so they could enjoy
their ice cream. We had brought balloons
so after the food was finished there was general pandemonium as children batted
balloons and hit each other with them!
We also had gifts for Thandokuhle’s house sisters and house mother. We gave the knitted/crocheted purses and
blankets, along with crayons, markers, colored pencils, and stickers. Giving gifts to children at an orphanage is
the best – they are so thrilled with everything. Their bright smiles warm the heart,
Thandokuhle seemed a little quiet and not quite her usual
self this evening. I think the party was
a bit overwhelming and I’m sure she has some sense of loss that she doesn’t
know how to express. Of course, all the
sugar she consumed didn’t help. So, it
was an early to bed night after such a big day.
No comments:
Post a Comment