We stayed home today! Yay!
We needed some time to relax and re-establish a more normal
schedule. Miranda had Grandpa School
in the morning which gave me time to read to Thandokuhle. We took a walk in the complex where we are
staying. We “splashed” in the pool which
was absolutely frigid but, of course, the girls wouldn’t admit they were cold
until their teeth were chattering. This
property borders Gordon’s Bay which is part of a larger bay, called False Bay , which feeds into the ocean. The view is beautiful with the beach and
mountains in the background. Miranda and
I had a great time walking on the sand and collecting seashells. Many of the shells are spiral and different
from any I’m seen on the East Coast of the US .
Thandokuhle continues to be scared of the waves. She rode on Grandpa’s shoulders and basically
cried the entire time (even though she did smile for the picture).
We are hearing a lot more crying from Thandokuhle. I now recognize that she cries in four different circumstances:
-
When she is scared.
Her main fears that we've seen so far are the ocean, dogs (this may have been copied from her
older sister), hand dryers, and vacuum cleaners. When she states her fear her syntax is very cute. She says "that dog is scaring me" or "Grandpa is scaring me" (because he was vacuuming) instead of saying "I'm scared of the dog".
-
When she gets in trouble. I’ve tried to be rather “light” on discipline in order to focus on attachment.
However, I have addressed a few critical areas related to safety, such
as running away instead of holding my hand to walk across the road. Today's very soft scolding produced lots of
tears.
-
When she doesn’t get her way. Thandokuhle definitely has strong opinions
and wants to do things her way. Her view
is “no sleeping” is needed at naptime and when I made her put her pajamas on
instead of running around after her bath that resulted in crying and struggling. Sometimes, I can "tease" her out of these tears by tickling her or singing a song.
-
When she misses her house mom. She cried at bedtime several nights in a row
but seems better if I stay with her until she falls asleep.
I’m trying to look at the bright side - she is starting to
express her emotions and knows that her tears will result in being comforted. Of course, hearing lots of crying isn’t my
preference!
Miranda is doing well in being a big sister and often tries
to be a good example, provide comfort, and help Thandokuhle follow
instructions. For the most part they play well together...with a few squabbles now and then.
No comments:
Post a Comment