The skirt was made by a black South African lady and as I was looking at it she asked where we were from, how long we were staying, why we were there, etc. I told her I had adopted Miranda and she was very touched (she was also a very good salesperson and convinced me to buy a handmade dress for Miranda!). Her husband started talking to Dad and both asked questions about Miranda and kept saying “God bless you for what you’re doing”. The husband commented, “God has looked with favor on this child”. They were so lavish in their encouragement and thankfulness that I was in tears by the time we left.
We have noticed that many more black South Africans comment on the adoption than the white South Africans. A few days ago, an older black man with missing teeth came up to us and said in broken English, “God bless you for caring for this child”. Both of these experiences were in sharp contrast to the predominantly white church we visited last Sunday where not a single person even greeted us, let alone spoke about the adoption.
After the farmers market, we visited the Shongweni dam and nature reserve. This is a recreational area where people kayak and canoe on the reservoir. I had fun taking photos of monkeys. I’m sure everyone else thought I was crazy because they view monkeys the same way we view squirrels. The monkeys were going through the campsites and eating any dropped food. I gave Miranda a banana and two “wild” monkeys came quite close to see if they could get the peel. Dad threw the peel on the ground and one of them ate it.
Miranda played at the playground and had a great time on the trampoline. We took a little movie of her but we were unable to upload it for you :(

No comments:
Post a Comment