Today we went to the Office of Home Affairs to apply for a new birth certificate for Miranda and to apply to change her name. The office was packed with people. We started off in the line to apply for a birth certificate. There were over 30 ladies in line, many with young infants. The women had babies strapped on their backs, sitting on their laps, and nursing. The line consisted of 5 benches aligned horizontally with one behind the other. The front of the line sat on the first bench with the end of the line on the back bench (and then you stood if there was no room on the bench). As the line moved forward you would slide over or move up to the next bench. I guess it was better than standing but, I have to admit, it took a little while for me to figure out how the line worked and how to get in it.
In the end, we didn't actually stay in the line. Instead we met directly with the supervisor because our situation did not fit any of the "lines". Even with her help it was confusing. I had to fill out 6 or 7 forms and I think I did something wrong on all of them (thankfully, they allowed me to cross things out instead of starting over). Every form asked for Miranda's name but it was confusing to know whether I put down her original name or new name (the same with her address and parental information). I then had to pay for all these forms (exact change was required) and one form required my thumb print.
The visit to the office took an hour and a half. Miranda did well but cheered when we were leaving! Hopefully, the next two visits are a little faster.
I feel like my vocabulary is changing and "no" has become a major part of it. I spend the day saying:
"no, don't drink the water in the pool",
"no, don't lick the play-doh",
"no, don't put your foot on the table during lunch",
"no, you can't run out the door and down the driveway by yourself"
Is it any surprise that Miranda has learned to say "no, no, no"!?!
You could write a short book about all your paperwork situations. Glad this part is begun!
ReplyDeleteMom
I think that the "paperwork" part of the adoption process has caused me to have a bit of PTSD. Now, every time I am faced with any type of unusual paperwork, I feel a bit of anxiety in my stomach. And your paper work has been far more difficult than anything we ever experienced!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey with us. I wonder if your mom is seeing a drop off in borrowing books from the church library since everyone is reading your blog?
Miranda just seems so adorable!!!!
One step closer to 'officially/legally' being Miranda's Mother. However, I have thought of you as Miranda's 'MOM' since the day at EM2 when you showed me her pictures with such pride and joy. As I have experienced your journey through your writing (which is incredible).... my feeling has been validated over and over. Mom's are teachers, doctors, nutritionists, psychiatrists and consummate care givers.... You are all of these for Miranda. Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.
ReplyDelete